Thursday, August 09, 2012

Graphic Novels

Having read manga "A Midsummer Night's Dream," I have decided that graphic novels are THE way to absorb Shakespeare. At least for me. I can't follow the language when I read his plays, even if the "modern" translation is supplied on the left page. I generally have no idea what's going on. And watching one of his plays acted live or in movie form, I can totally figure out what's going on, but can hardly catch a word anyone says. In a graphic novel, you get the sort of "video" reel, but you can read the Shakespearean English at your own speed. I love it!

My success with "Midsummer" gave me the courage to give this a chance. Maybe it could be improved??



I've seen the first film, but haven't read the books. After spending May joking with Sara, Emily, and Rania about writing a Twilight-like book, I decided I couldn't put it off any longer. I need to know what I'm dealing with. I need to read it. So when I saw this, I thought it would ease the whole process.

I was wrong. I mean, it's fun. And the pictures are very accurately manga; they're beautiful. But it's all dialogue and meaningful looks, and the dialogue is...well, you know what the dialogue is. Volume One went pretty quickly, but it doesn't look like the library has the other volumes, so now I'm reading this.


It's by a French guy who moved to Myanmar/Burma with small son and wife, who works for MSF (Doctors Without Borders). It's basically short comics about his daily experiences there. This was in 2005, prior to the Burmese dictatorship shutting its borders to all foreign aid organizations.

Here is my crochet bow-tie necklace. It's a bit floppy, but I love this yarn and I really love the "puff stitch," which made the balls on the necklace bit. I'm totally gonna make more necklaces for myself.


And here is today's snack: I decided to try Becky's suggestion of baking brie in filo pastry. But as I'm poor, I bought cheap brie. Bad idea. It's gone all lumpy and greasy in the oven. The chips are really good though! I cut up some pita flatbread, brushed them with olive oil, and sprinkled on a generous helping of sea salt. Mmmm...


1 comment:

  1. Darn it! Wrote all these comments, then deleted them.

    Awesome necklace.

    Hey, seriously, watching the Twilight movies with Hugh would be an awesomely hilarious way to spend an evening. John and I really enjoyed it.

    I just read an article about Burma! Apparently the dictators there are slowly relaxing their grip, after the Arab Spring.

    Thank you thank you thank you for the Shakespeare graphic novel suggestion! I'm trying to figure out how to share a little bit of Shakespeare with my kids, but the text is really difficult.

    ReplyDelete