Tuesday, March 02, 2010

Quitter

So, I've quit the pub job. Saturday night, I didn't sleep well because I was stressing about how I was gonna juggle two part-time jobs with odd hours. I want to give Brand A all of my availability because I don't want to limit the number of hours I get there. By Sunday morning, I had decided to quit, but was gonna save it for Monday morning. I was gonna tell them that I'd be happy to pick up shifts when I wasn't scheduled at the new job. Then I went to work Sunday, and the head chef berated me and insulted my intelligence. And it was for something that I hadn't even done. I welled up with tears and everyone saw it, all my coworkers, both my managers, the guy I have a crush on, probably some of my customers. I mean, they all sympathize with me and think the chef is a douche bag (except that British people don't know what a douche bag is), but I'm still embarrassed because no one else cries when he shouts at them. Just me.

When I got home Sunday night, I took a bath (shower's broken) and cried some more. This isn't completely surprising because I've been really tired and a bit burned out lately, and I always cry at the drop of a hat when I'm tired. I was in the bath, crying, debating whether I need the money badly enough to continue working at the pub. And I decided that the money isn't worth being verbally abused, and that it's time to move on with my life. No sooner had I thought this then a Bible story popped into my head, the one where Jesus tells his disciples that if any city doesn't welcome them, they should dust the dirt of the city off their sandals as they leave. I've never been much of an evangelical Christian; I've never tried to convert anyone, but I try to live a life that follows Christ's wisdom. I treat everyone with respect, I'm sweet to everyone, even when they're assholes, and so I don't think it's too much to ask that people return the favor. Anyway, cheesy story short, I quit. I haven't offered to pick up shifts. I might at some point offer this, but not just yet. I gave one week's notice, but since I'd already requested off the next two weeks, my last day is today. And the head chef is on vacation, so I don't have to deal with him. Sigh of relief.

Tomorrow, I start the new job and get to have roast with Izzi, so things are looking up!

2 comments:

  1. Amen, sistah! Way to take charge of a bad situation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! Congrats on getting a job at "Brand A" store! (I wonder if I can guess what it is!;) And you are totally high class enough for Chelsea. (trust me, I know some people who live there, Hahaha!;) Good luck with the lab job too. I need this to work out for you. I've been having a rough time with my job search too, and I need some good news from your corner!!! Peace Corps round two is coming up in a couple of weeks, I'm applying to an unpaid job in Kenya, and I have a meeting with my law school career counselor, so maybe something will work out. AND I'm finally sending off my application to New York to be a real life, registered lawyer! So I have high hopes that March is going to bring good things to us both!!!:)

    ReplyDelete