Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Katniss's District 12 cowl

Did you notice the wool cowl/shrug thing that Katniss wears in the opening scene of Catching Fire? I know you did. Despite the fact that the film was only released a couple weeks ago in the US and UK, there are already several patterns for the cowl available on Ravelry, and you can buy one made-to-order from Etsy. Loads of people have made various versions for themselves. Lion Brand have released a knit pattern and a crochet pattern (for using their wool, of course).


The patterns in Ravelry are much less structured than the real thing. They have big, thick collars like the film version, but then just kind of hang down limply. Still, these versions all look significantly more like the film version than the Lion Brand version does. It looks nothing like what Katniss wears! I might have to experiment myself, but I really don't know anything about knit construction. I can't seem to stop thinking about it! (Not that it ever gets cold enough in Melbourne for two layers of outerwear!) It turns out, though, that the original was woven, not knit, so that's part of why the reproductions can't quite look the same. It was designed by Maria Dora.

These are the Lion Brand versions. They make me laugh. They must be trying to avoid lawsuits for copying Dora's original designs.


This might be the most exciting thing to happen to the sci-fi knitting community since Jayne's hat (Firefly) and Rose's wristwarmers (Doctor Who)!

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad I'm not the only who doesn't care for the Lion Brand versions!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad I'm not the only who doesn't care for the Lion Brand versions!

    ReplyDelete