Monday, January 06, 2014

my knitting goals

While we were in Adelaide, I was thinking about that sweater, trying to figure out what to do with it and generally frustrated with my overall knitting uselessness. It doesn't help that Hugh laughs at me for never finishing anything and always ripping up mostly-finished projects.

And then I remembered what my original intentions were when I taught myself to knit: I never expected to be good at it. In fact, I knew I'd suck at it. The highest goal I set for myself was to one day be as good a knitter as Mrs. Weasley from the Harry Potter books. Her sleeves are always different lengths, the colors are hideous, nothing fits right.

I've totally reached that goal! I am at least as good a knitter as Mrs. Weasley. If I manage to make anything halfway wearable, I've surpassed my own expectations. So I have to give myself a break. If I hate everything I ever make, that's okay! I guess. Hm, if only I didn't spend so much money on the wool.

Well, anyway, I shouldn't get frustrated. I should just keep barreling ahead.

2 comments:

  1. Oh this made me laugh! I knitted a sweater years ago, and I love the yarn and colors, but the sweater is HIDEOUS...as a sweater. Turns out, it's a perfect fit for the back of my leather easy chair, and keeps me warm when I curl up in that chair to read!

    Barrel ahead. In ten years, you'll love what you knitted.

    --woodsong

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with mom, barrel ahead! Half the stuff I make when I'm sewing turns out to be utterly useless, but the only way I've gotten better is to keep finishing projects. Make a list of the things you would do better if you did it over again, and keep those things in mind next time.

    ReplyDelete