Thursday, March 22, 2012

Debt

I was reading Marie Claire at the library yesterday, and there was an article giving suggestions for how women should take control of their finances. One of the financial advisers said that, in this economy, going back to school for another degree is not worth the money (so true), and you should pursue adult education and training courses instead. Of course, this got me thinking. Especially because my student loan online account was telling me that I needed to pay nearly $800 today (and every month).

I was complaining the other day about how one year of my life cost me $70,000. A year that I'll probably be paying off for at least the next 30. The article made me think I'd made a huge mistake leaving my good job and getting my master's degree. I went into $70,000 debt in order to be LESS employable than I was four years ago. $70,000 debt in order to reach my 30th birthday with no career, no job even, no savings, no retirement fund, nothing.

But that's not really what I went into $70,000 debt for. I went into debt so that I could live in the UK for three and a half years. I basically spent $70,000 for two visas. I did it so that I could see Izzi again. So that I could meet several people who now fit into the category "some of my favorite people in the whole entire world." So that I could see more of the world: Ireland, The Netherlands, Sweden, France, and Uganda. I went on safari with that money! I went to Paris twice! I had my breath taken away by the Dorset coast, the beaches of Cornwall, and the mists of Glen Coe. I've lost count of the number of times I've relaxed in the most charming farmhouse in Sussex. I drank Snowballs with the Coleys. And, to add a grated cheese topping to this cheese pie, I met my handsome man. My next adventure will happen (hopefully; knock on wood) because I took on that debt. I just need to periodically remind myself what I really intended that money for, and what I got out of it.

And at some point, but happily not today, I need to figure out how to pay it back.

3 comments:

  1. x3 for me... literally! ;o Thanks for the reminder that we paid for a life-changing experience, not just a degree!:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have 1.5 times that debt and only got to spend three months abroad... I'm pretty sure you got a lot more out of your money than I did! :) Would love to catch up and hear about your adventures sometime.

    - Jax

    ReplyDelete
  3. "You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you get what you need."

    ReplyDelete