Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Quirky Weekend

Finally, a meal I know how to cook and I know will taste delicious: Top Ramen! I'm such a college student. Which is to be expected, I suppose, since I lived at home all through college. I'm finally on my ownsies, so now is the time to learn. Of course, I could have picked up skills on my many travels abroad, or while I was living with Jacque (who's never home). But now I have my own little kitchen, and it's oh-so-adorable, and I want to make it feel loved, so I'll have to actually use it.

I tried baking a couple times, and that was WAY FUN! so I'll have to do it some more. Only problem is, I don't like carbs (bread or sugar), so someone else will have to eat all my baked goods. Any takers?

So, Sarah is in town, and even though she grew up here, she wanted to do something touristy while here (which makes total sense; I want to do touristy things and I still live here!) So we all bundled up and headed to Pioneer Square. We briefly browsed Elliot Bay Book Company (way cool, but nowhere near as cool as Powell's in Portland), ate lunch at someplace cool,

played at a toy store,


got ice cream and sweets from Rocky Mtn Chocolate Co.,


and went on the Seattle Underground Tour!


Now, I knew Seattle was built on a marshy, mud-flat. And I knew it burned to the ground long, long ago.


But I heard that they just rebuilt the city on top of the ashen ruins, and that's how you got the Underground. But no, they actually planned for stuff to be underground. Or something bizarre like that.

They didn't really have money to rebuild their nice hotels (aka brothels) with fancy ground floors, and they had a sewage problem (as in, lack of plumbing).


So they brilliantly (and I'm using that word sarcastically) decided to build sewers above ground, and pave over the top and sides, making the road. The buildings (hotels, brothels, etc) would then have their first floors facing this concrete structure. The sidewalks were likewise on ground level, for a few years. Smart, huh? That way, the hotels/brothels could spend less on the first floor, earn some more cash, then build the second floor as the main, fancy entrance. And then the sidewalks would be encased in cement, too, and there would be a sidewalk level with the road and the second floors of hotels, and a sidewalk below ground, next to the cement holding all the sewage and the new basement floors of the buildings (lit by these purple skylights.)


History is so much more interesting when people are dumb or bizarre! And now, we have a bunch of derelict underground alleys that are used for making loads of money off tourists! (Seriously, fourteen dollars a person??)

Anyway, it was WAY fun. And then I hopped in my car in the evening, and drove to Bellingham to visit my favorite second-youngest sister. On Sunday, I forced her to go to this bizarre science museum-type place called, "Mindport." Any place called "Mindport" deserves a look-see.
It was awesomness! We could only stay for half an hour, so it's a good thing it only cost $2.

And that's all I have to say. There are more pictures, of which I am quite proud, here. Look at them. That's not a request.

3 comments:

  1. There are no pictures of your visit with your sister. I thought you said she was your favorite? Not favorite enough to warrant pictures, eh? Hmph.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is exactly my point. :P You love the moon more than you love me. :( Waaaaaaaah!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, ok! I looked already! Sheesh, you've gotten push in your old age. "That's not a request." Sheesh.

    Ok, they were good, though, and fun to see. I took the tour so long ago (before Becky was born) that I'd forgotten all that stuff.

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete