Thursday, July 10, 2008

Experimenting with dinner

PMS, lack of energy, and perhaps a tad bit of laziness conspired against me tonight when it came time to figure out what to eat for dinner. I was at a loss. I didn't want to make pasta again, but I didn't have any instant meals like Top Ramen or Mac N' Cheese. A glance in my pathetic freezer, and I came out with frozen corn, and frozen medallions of mashed potatoes (just add water and heat!)

Brain: "Hm, mashed potatoes with corn? Could work. But! What if I fried the mashed potatoes and corn? What if I shaped them into patties and fried them, like my dear old (also cooking-challenged) Pop used to do? Oh yes...I like how you think."

I was a little nervous that this would fail miserably, but how can you fail when you have potatoes, cooking oil, and a heat source? No, my friends, this is one recipe that even I can't screw up (except by burning the bottoms just a teensy bit).

Verdict: Delicious. Oh, so delicious.

Today, I discovered something that made me very happy. I noticed long ago that the craigslist.org page for London is...lacking. People there apparently don't know about it. Under the "free stuff" category, there is but one item per day! How am I supposed to furnish my apartment for free with other people's discarded detritus?

And then I found it. It's called Gumtree, and it's a beautiful, beautiful thing, possibly even more beautiful than Craigslist (prettier color scheme, at least). Now I can get all the free toilets and top soil that I need! All is right with the world. Nothing else matters much.

2 comments:

  1. As a kid I would love to mix my corn with my mashed potatoes. Mmmm!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you mixed yourself up some classic bona fide corn patties! ARR! (pirate voice)

    ReplyDelete