Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Good news!!

Just got this today:

Dear [Kusems],

I have attached your unconditional offer of admission letter.
I have also posted the hard copy.
Kind Regards,

Registry
London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine


WOOT WOOT!!

I had my wisdom teeth out yesterday afternoon. Well, two wisdom teeth and two (degraded) molars. Everything appears to have gone well. I don't feel any numbness or pain (yet). That could be because the steroids haven't worn off yet, but I'm hoping it'll be no big deal. I haven't had to take any Percocet yet.

When I checked in, the receptionist asked me to pay the original, out of pocket price quoted for four wisdom teeth, of $1110. I explained that I was only getting two wisdom teeth cracked and removed, and having two molars pulled. When she came back with the new calculation, it was for $306 out of pocket! Sweet! I can totally afford that! I'm still not sure why it was so much lower, so I'm paranoid that I'll have to pay more, but probably not much more. Still manageable, I'm sure.

They didn't ask me any questions as they were putting me under, so I don't have a funny story of saying anything weird, but apparently, when Becky was driving me home, I told her two different times that I couldn't feel my lower lip when I touched it with my finger. Hyuck hyuck hyuck! I sure am a crazy one!

Anyway, so I'm in a pretty good mood. I get to stay home and knit and watch movies! Yay! And someday soon, I get to apply for a visa to study in the UK! Funny story in regards to that: Before the government will approve my Grad PLUS loan application, I have to do online entrance counseling (they tell me I have to pay my loans back, then ask me questions like, "Do you have to pay your loan back?") At the end of the counseling, they help you calculate what kind of salary you need to make in order to pay back X amount of loan in 10 years at fixed 8.5% interest. My full loan package will be about $57,000 (though part of that may be at a lower interest rate.) Anyway, I only have to make $106,000 per year for the next 10 years in order to pay it all back on time! Easy peasy, right?

1 comment:

  1. I think you'll have to make $106,000 just to pay rent for your London apartment. I'm telling you, cardboard box!

    ReplyDelete