Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Money matters

I feel so dumb. I just did a couple loads of laundry, and the three white shirts that I bought just one week ago are now a very pale blue-green. Pooh. I've been washing my own laundry for ages and have never done that before. Oh well, I don't think they look bad (I hope).

I recently paid rent for September. Guess how much. Yep, that's right, $1473. One. Month. That's close to twice what I paid for my Capitol Hill studio, but it does include all the bills and internet connection. Alas, it's the price you pay to live in London.

I decided yesterday to return to budgeting myself money per week. I used to do this at home based on my monthly salary minus all the bills I paid, minus groceries, gas, etc. I was left with $50 per week for whatever I wanted. In the month that I've been here, I haven't budgeted at all. I've just spent willy-nilly, which kind of makes sense because I need to buy pretty much all new stuff. But now that I'm more settled, I think I should return to budgeting. I picked an almost arbitrary number of 50 pounds, and in two days, I've already spent 40 pounds. I realized today that when I used to give myself $50 per week, that money wasn't used for groceries, whereas at the moment, I'm using the 50 pounds for groceries as well as everything else. Oh well, I'll figure out something that works for me. I found out today that the British bank account I applied for was approved, so now as soon as my school gets around to giving me my freaking money, I'll be able to start figuring out how much I can spend each month. Exciting times!

4 comments:

  1. Being a student again is great for a number of reasons, but not having a steady paycheck every other week? That's scary! I'm right there with you on this one! I have to start limiting my spending now, too... yuck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Huh! Your monthly payment of $1473 is pretty much what we pay in interest every month for the condo, give or take ten bucks. And that doesn't even count utilities and home owner's dues. Let us know if you want more budgeting help! Remember: money is the root of all fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kusems, I like to imagine you sitting on a street corner like Eliza Doolittle, with a dirt smudge on your face, trying to sell bundles of violets and singing "Wouldn't It Be Lover-ly?" I've said it before, London is the greatest city in the world in which to be dirt-poor. Dickens will back me up on this, as well as Burt the chimney-sweep, the woman who tries to get tuppence to feed the birds, and people who say "alms for the poor." So get out there and start begging!

    ReplyDelete
  4. *rolls eyes at ms. petey and hands her a genuine tin cup*

    Hey, Kusems, I think you'd look great in a pale blue-green shirt.

    ReplyDelete